Friday, October 09, 2009

Are you the right you?

Nobel peace prize for Obama - while I gasp a wow, I don't think anyone would have expected this. I'm sure there're going to be multiple debates on this, so I'll choose NOT to discuss about the worthiness of the award. But my first reaction - it does not matter who believes in you or who doesn't, as long as you believe in yourself, you have a leader in you.

I was fortunate to be in the US during its last election and I was able to see a country cry for change. Their elections are a little different from ours; apart from the processes, the striking difference I found was people do not fear to tell in public whom they voted for; such is the transparency in their operations, such is the advancement in their society and such is the protection in their legal system.

Whenever I got the opportunity I used to ask my American colleagues, "Do you believe in Bush?" and without exception they replied "Not any more". The rising terrorism, the wars, the economy, global warming - people definitely needed a change. And Obama was their ray of hope, his dreams were surely bigger than any other person they knew to be living. Even as the orthodox, the rascist and the regressive did not approve of his nomination, the wave gently shifted towards Obama as he won over Clinton for his candidature, over McCain for his presidentship and over critics for his leadership.

When people make fun of you for your middle name, when people abuse you for your colour and when people criticize you for your inexperience, it needs a strong character to stand up and tell "Look I believe in myself, will you believe in me?" Well, even Gandhi was hated by half the country, and there're people who don't believe in God. Why get bogged down by people who ridicule your capability, why go into a shell when you face failures, why get affected by criticisms, why settle cozily in your comfort zone? Just believe in yourself!

Yes, you've to be at the right place at the right time, but before that, you've to be the right you. Are you the right you?

4 comments:

  1. I didnt get your point? Are you saying if Obama believes in himself, he deserves a Nobel Peace Prize?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HaHa, that would probably have been the funniest joke I had cracked all my life.

    The blog was not at all about whether Obama deserves Nobel or not. I just took the occasion to tell something that I wanted, through a context, which happened to be Obama :)

    Made the "not" caps now. "I'm sure there're going to be multiple debates on this, so I'll choose NOT to discuss about the worthiness of the award"

    And thanks for letting me know that I was not clear, point noted. I can hear you tell "Better luck next time" :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your best post till date I feel. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days