Thursday, March 08, 2012

Are we passing the buck of responsibility?

Interesting things keep happening around to motivate me to write something, don't they? While I totally accept that the Members of the State Assembly better perform their duties well and not watch dirty videos during a working session, especially in a country where supposedly no one watches them, I am not sure how to differentiate watching in the Assembly, a dirty video from a normal movie or from reading a magazine or from reading a novel. Shouldn't all of these deserve the same punishment?

Unfortunately the people and the media don't think so. "When you're in power you better be responsible." I surely agree with this point. "People look up to you for inspiration, so you better behave inspiringly." I agree with this point too. In fact, it was the same line of argument that the Indian Government brought up when it tried to ban smoking scenes in movies. Interestingly, the same people and media did not like that idea. "If someone is going to smoke, he will smoke regardless of what the hero does." "A Don character cannot go without puffing smoke on screen." I agree with both the reasons.

But how is the inspiration logic different here? People's justification is that a real life inspiration is different from a reel life one. This is an extremely difficult supposition for me to support, but if people think that there are more teenagers looking up to our politicians for inspiration than to our movie stars, fine, I will take the point, I have not conducted market surveys. The moral of the story so far is that you can't expect the entire population to be responsible, do as much as you can to prevent bad inspirations and wrong motivations. With power comes responsibility. Perfect.

Now look at the picture on the left. The protestors are asking the entire population to be responsible while they want to have the freedom of their choices. This is perfectly fine too, people better be given the freedom to do what they want to, without harming others. The eyes that look at an art should be blamed and not the art itself. Ah, did I rake up an MF Hussain controversy here?

Don't get me wrong, there is surely nothing like telling the rapists, they ought to be punished, brutally. But do you see a blame game in all this? When others fall down, it's their clumsiness, while when we fall down, it's the misplaced stone. When others succeed, it's chance, while when we succeed, it's our effort. When it comes to others, they have to be responsible, while when it comes to us, still others have to be responsible. And leaders have no choice. Is it time we rose above the mediocrity of passing the buck? Absolutely no doubt that a leader has to be more responsible, but I think everyone has some power to be responsible and while it is fine to expect others to be responsible, it is finer to be responsible ourselves too.

4 comments:

  1. Oh yes, Happy Holi! A Happy responsible Holi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghum Ghum Ghumaya....Ghum thalakadi Ghumaya

    -Ramp

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a spot-on, undeniable argument you make with this intelligent correlation of different pieces of news :-)

    Yes, I agree that we should all equally share the responsilibility of preventing bad inspirations, regardless of the context. And we shouldn't hesitate to take the first step of being responsible if the other side is not behaving responsibly - The best way to teach someone something is to show an example.

    I'm a girl and its so hard for me to give up my choice of clothes. They're so personal and so close to my heart, that I'll fight against anything for my rights of wearing what I want to wear. But over the years, I've understood something more....

    May be I can wage a war against the world telling that its my right to do I want to do, but is it the best way that I can co-exist with my world and my people? No. There is a more mature, harmonious and responsible way of dealing this conflict. I can dress responsibly, in an elegant and pleasantly attractive manner. This way, I can do my part to prevent wrong motivations, and also proliferate right feelings in others. When I dress this way, it makes me feel beautiful and good about myself and others. No rebellious women-liberation-filled dressing can give this wonderful feeling of overall harmony which comes from trying to strike a balance with everyone's good in mind.

    My friend has once remarked that I am a feminist, coz I just cannot depend on my husband for anything :-) Yes, I've a feminist in me, and I'm still talking this way... I prefer harmony, just like true love is always better between husband and wife than the wife winning something against her husband :-)

    Anyway.... to summarize my feelings.... the happiness is always greater in being an example for others to follow than passing the buck of resposibility. The happiness is always greater, when there is harmony between two sides than when one side wins. And yes, the happiness is always greater in enjoying responsibly than indulging irresponsibly :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Happiness is always greater in enjoying responsibly than indulging irresponsibly" - Quote of the month? Ok :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days