Thursday, November 05, 2009

Is your eraser wearing ahead?

"To err is human, but if the eraser wears out ahead of the pencil, you're overdoing it." True, but most of the times, we commit a mistake without realizing we're committing one. That's when even if we don't forgive ourselves, others might probably do; or is it the other way around? But when we commit a mistake while we very well know it's a mistake, I think feeling sorry then doesn't mean anything, unless there is a really worthwhile reason. I, for sure, know some instances where my eraser was ahead of my pencil and I don't think I can prevent that in the future either. Yes, life is lived forward but understood backward! I guess we should just move on taking Einstein's consolation that "Anyone who has not made a mistake has never tried anything new".

2 comments:

  1. I thought the first line of the blog meant that, "You should remember the mistakes you do and try not to do them again".

    "
    Do mistake - apologize -> OK
    Do it again - apologize -> Maybe OK
    Don't keep doing it and apologizing -> Your eraser will get over before the pencil
    "

    I don't think it refers to knowingly or unknowingly doing mistakes. Doing knowingly sounds very sinister. It could simply be that you don't remember the mistake you did last and you keep doing it again.

    Every husband in this world will know what I am talking about. We can never remember the mistakes rightly pointed out by our dutiful wives and we keep doing them again :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your interpretation makes full sense. And, you raised a very valid argument too. Surely a separate post worth writing about. Let me talk with more husbands and more wives :)

    I have changed the original sentence

    from:

    "But when we commit a mistake while we very well know it's a mistake, there could be a hundred reasons for it, but I think feeling sorry then doesn't mean anything."

    to:

    "But when we commit a mistake while we very well know it's a mistake, I think feeling sorry then doesn't mean anything, unless there is a really worthwhile reason."

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days