Sunday, March 07, 2010

Where art thou?

Tomorrow the parliament is going to vote on women's reservation bill. Where're the patriots who opposed caste-based reservations? Where's the media that tore apart the supporters? Where're the egalitarians who staged protests? Where're the doctors who did not attend to their patients so that they can participate in the strikes? Are they all silent because they know at least the women of their families will get benefited out of this as opposed to no one in the case of caste-based reservations? Or are they just tired having to protest for everything? But I won't agree that the media is tired. Either oppose both or support both.

Can we get more selfish? Can we get more biased? Can we get more hypocritical? If the men of the society didn't create fairgrounds for the women, then the men better be taught a lesson and the women better be given justice. If the upper caste didn't create fairgrounds for the lower caste, then let the same justice prevail there too. It's so hard to practice what we believe, but at least let us make an attempt to talk what we believe. I'm extremely sorry if I'm out of touch with news, but I don't think there's wide-spread protest against women's reservation. I'm equally sorry if I've failed to note the difference between the two reservations.

But I'm happy that people have started to realize what reservation means and have begun to accept to pay for their mistakes.

3 comments:

  1. I don't support any kind of reservation :) Whatever reason it could be, it does dilute the talent pool. I don't want to be studying or working with people who got in through reservations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spoke with the author of this blog ;-) regarding this sometime back. I started supporting reservations ever since.

    Imagine you've scientist ranking #1 and scientist ranking #2 and there's a vacant position in NASA. If scientist #1 is a murderer, will you appoint him in that position instead of putting him in jail, because you need the best? When serving justice, you only have to care about justice and nothing else.

    Naren, thanks. I was also selfish, biased and hypocritical till that point. Not any longer, at least with respect to reservations. No wonder you're called Naataamai.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, you still remember that example! Btw I didn't try though to equate the upper caste or the men of the society to murderers :P

    But somehow I feel, we're missing something here ... if it's only the two of us against 98 of them, most probably we're wrong. There has to be some difference between the two reservations. I just posted this qn on facebook. Let us see if we get some answers.

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days