Friday, August 28, 2009

Emotions engineered

When two engineers talk about emotions, it can't get worse than the above! Finally when they conclude that anything on the left hand side can pair up with anything on the right hand side, you actually start checking if it really makes sense.

I picked what I thought was an improbable pair - dislike and love. How can you dislike something that you love? I was surprised to find an example. As I was learning to ride my bike, I liked it. Slowly I started loving it. But over these years, the dust, the sun, etc. have made me develop a dislike towards it. But I still absolutely love it. I scratched my head in disbelief only to find that this's true with people too.

But can you really hate something that you'd loved because now your contempt surpasses your adoration? Isn't love such a wonderful feeling that unless you decide to renounce, you will continue to love? I don't know, may be the love that comes from like cannot transform itself into hatred? Even if it does, I feel that's a little lesser-mortalish!

Ok, now the next pair - can you hate something and still like it?

2 comments:

  1. If the body, mind, soul and intellect have conflicting thoughts/demands, at different points in time, you will go through the left-right pairing.
    e.g: One day your head will dislike somebody for their untidiness. The next day you seek their support say some crisis situation arises and you are forced to spend a day in their untidy apartment and slowly start liking things around :) as you discover that there are other things that make this person wonderful and the untidiness does not bother you and you start losing your heart to her/him ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we love God and sometimes we hate Him?

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days