Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Trust vs Loyalty

After the "glimpse" of a megaserial, now it's about a "glimpse" of a movie. A millionaire, after an accident, is pretending to be blind to learn about some frauds happening at his home. The heroine, the only other person who knows he is not blind, is in his house as a nurse. The hero, who also works in the house, happily flirts with the heroine every now and then and even in front of the millionaire. After one such flirting episode, the millionaire tells the heroine "I'm really impressed with you, you've not even disclosed the truth to your boyfriend".

But does this happen in real life? I knew a friend who wanted to shift teams within her company. She just enquired about the role to the new manager and asked him not to tell her old manager before she finds the right time to tell. Even if the new manager wanted to get some feedback, he could have just waited for her consent, but he didn't do that. Now she can't face her old manager. I was discussing about this today with a friend to whom I go for such enlightenment, for she's an excellent scholar of Hindu philosophies - "I tell you something and ask you not to tell your husband. If you tell him, you break my trust. If you don't, you break your loyalty to him. What'll you do?" She said "I'm not sure if the latter is true, but I for sure know the former is true, so I'll not tell him".

Truth vs Gain, Peace vs Truth, Duty vs Peace, Loyalty vs Duty, Trust vs Loyalty, the chain can go on, but I think in all of the above, I would want to "rationally" choose the former whenever I can. But yes, I agree that exceptions can be made for a "selfless good". There would surely have been a few instances in my life, where I might not have practiced this, by writing it down I want to make sure I practice it. If you're my friend and you expect me to uphold loyalty to you at the cost of breaking someone else's trust in me, I might probably decide to resign from your friendship rather than breach the trust. I'm sure I will run into a quandary with my wife on this, I will use this to tell her that "I'm sorry I'm following this from Jul 8, 2009." ;)

I will just end this with a verse from a Tamil epic, Thirukkural -
Poimaiyum vaaimai udaithu puraitheerndha
Nanmai payakkum enin.
Even falsehood has the nature of truth, if it confers a benefit free from fault.

2 comments:

  1. I don't know about the rest, but I've also felt that this husband-wife-friend triangle is being disgraced.

    Couples get "nothing to hide between us" wrong sometimes. They can perhaps choose not to hide anything abt their own selves, but definitely not at the cost of breaking someone else's privacy. I'm with you. You know what I do with my married friends, I just cut them off when it comes to sharing secrets, coz I know it'll go to at least one more person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting to hear that from a married person. Ok, no more secrets to you then ;)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days