Thursday, July 02, 2009

Not another denouncement of megaserials

I try my best to match my dinner timing when mom's not watching one of those daily TV serials, but it's not always possible. I don't try to do it very earnestly though, because now and then when I peep into those megaserials I definitely learn something. I would say the popular anti-megaserial sentiments emanating from public ridicule is a little skewed. Sure, they're funny and so slow that you can follow even if you watch them only once a week, but I bet you'll "learn" more from watching 16 episodes of a good 30-min megaserial than from watching an 8-hour game of one day cricket. Sorry for such a poor joke, but megaserials surely deserve some respect for being the only form of entertainment to the millions of housewives in India who are worn out from years and years of household chores.

I would like to document one such "glimpse" of an episode that made me think. I right now don't know the answer, but I will come back to this post when I know more. There's the usual "good" heroine of the story who's faced with persistent cruel obstacles to her career and life from a villain guy. The heroine finally gets exasperated and tells "He's got all this time to cause so much havoc in my life because his business is running fine. I think I should create problems in his life, only then my life will be saved and he'll learn his lessons." I didn't watch the episodes after that, I'm sure, she would only practice moral hinderances for the "good" heroine that she is. Nevertheless, this made me think.

By creating problems in his life, is she commiting the same mistake that he did. Yes, but then does she have any other way out? Probably no. Has she done enough to maintain harmony till now? Yes for many years now. So, is she justified? I think yes. Even Bhagvad Gita asks us to fight against immoral acts done against us, even if it means being "violent". May be I shouldn't have taken Gita here because I don't know anything about it, but it at least suits the context.

I right now leave the argument open. I myself have been in this dilemma many times only to have ended up practicing non-violence. But I think I've been a coward trying to do that. I'm slowly starting to put up fights when I feel I'm being taken for a ride. But I'm doing that without full self-consent. I need to quickly find answers to help me surf through such continuing situations at least in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Dude.. realtime, you can just opt for a new job, or relocate to a diff place, or do sth to start a new life.. you really dont have to get violent n 'trouble back' the villains.
    I think women enjoy megaserials most bcos they dont pick msgs out of it.. n believe me, thats the best way to watch them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I think that's fairly true. Even worse in real life, you try "giving back" after your persistent salvage attempts, you become a hypocrite :)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days