Thursday, January 13, 2011

Some things I had noted down long back

I wanted to write different posts on each of these, but I'm not sure if I'll find the time for it soon enough. So, let me at least note them down here. These are based on articles that I've read from different sources at different points in time. I didn't care to store the sources, so please excuse.

A) I've read about friendship and relationships at many places, but this one was different. This was not something unknown but it was very blatant and I liked it. You're not a great friend:
  1. If you're friends with others only to use them
  2. If you manipulate friends for your own benefit
  3. If you spin stories to save your face
  4. If you messed a relationship between two friends
  5. If you complain about all your friends to every other friend
B) There are different degrees of selfishness. While with one logic you can classify any selfishness as selflessness, you can apply a counter-logic and classify any selflessness as selfishness:
  1. I order: You can do anything for yourself
  2. II order: You can do anything for your family
  3. III order: You can do anything for your friends
  4. IV order: You can do anything for anyone
C) There are different degrees of self-sufficiency. I don't know which one is better, but I feel the last one is the most difficult, because that's the self-sufficiency that comes out of an informed attempt to analyze both having and not having something, while you very well know what each of those mean:
  1. Natural self-sufficiency: When you've sufficiently indulged in something, you get a natural feeling of cloyingness and then you no longer depend on that. That's a naturally stable state.
  2. Artificial self-sufficiency: When you're self-restraining from the start, you've never indulged, but you're not sure how you'd handle given a chance to indulge. That's a metastable state.
  3. Voluntary self-sufficiency: When you deliberately give up something after you very well know what it means to indulge, you reach a nobly stable state.
There is nothing I want to conclude nor are these related, I just felt like storing them, so I did.

2 comments:

  1. Lets benefit friends and benefit from friends... but first lets be friends, unconditionally...
    Lets be selfish in all four degrees... but lets do only some things to everyone.. may be not "anything"..
    Wherever we can lets enjoy what God has given us to enjoy, but not for a split second regret what we dont have..lets then just define "having" something in a different way..

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days