Thursday, September 17, 2009

I'm losing track of what's right and what's not

With exploding number of media channels, news ought to be blown out of proportions. But I sometimes feel moral limits are being crossed. I can cite a dozen examples, but what pains me the most is the denigration this explosion has brought to affected middle class homes. One small mistake by a petty officer in an entrusted job or a slip in the otherwise cautious life of a family person, the media just tears apart. But what happens to the families that can't bear this shame?

Bribery is the easiest example I can think of. Yes, I did write about why I feel corruption is a shame to our country, but then I should admit that I also have a soft corner for the middle class officers who are after bribe. I was happy to know that some of you also share similar views. One of you very rightly even pointed out that their pathetic salary levels is probably the biggest reason, how true!

Let us get back to the morally irresponsible media. Even today, the news channels are ripping apart the Chief Justice of Karnataka for his "alleged" involvement in corruption. Every half hour there're different pictures of him from all possible angles. Yes, I agree it is a shameful offence, but then how would the people at his home face the world tomorrow? I am not trying to justify, but let us list down possible levels of corruption:
  • pocketing money for going beyond the routine
  • pocketing money for doing the routine
  • pocketing money at the cost of the routine
Now let us draw some funny equivalents at our own workplace:
  • taking a one-hour coffee break after completing work
  • taking a one-hour coffee break during work
  • taking a one-hour coffee break at the cost of work
We don't get a break, so we take it whenever we can. Some don't get money, so they earn it however they can. Well, I just realized I do all the latter three, so I will just shut up right now and hope that the media doesn't become responsible for increasing the suicide rate in the country.

1 comment:

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days