Monday, September 07, 2009

The captain was acquitted

I don't know whether this is real, but I was told so. I found it interesting as I recalled this while I was thinking about the earlier post on "relative perfectionism".

The captain of a ship was investigated in the naval court for a wreck that he was charged for. Apparently he was able to save the wreck from becoming a major disaster, however he was not able to avert the wreck itself. The court appointed a three-member committee to give a report on the case. The committee came back after six months and listed three salvage options that the captain could have tried to prevent the wreck.

The judge asked the captain "Do you have anything to reply?" The captain said "I know my mistake and I am not going to plead innocence. I appreciate the committee for producing a flawless report, I agree that all the three alternatives would have saved the ship. But I have one thing to say. The committee had six months to come up with three solutions. I had just six seconds."

The captain was acquitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days