Saturday, September 26, 2009

Small things, Big efforts

If you let me to do so, I would call this the cross-section of a single-floored house. You can say 20% of your house is complete with the foundation, 50% with the roof, 80% with the plastering work and 100% with the woodwork. Extrapolate if you have more than one floor. My house's right now at the ground floor's lintel stage, so I had to freeze the floor's door, window, sunshade and loft positions.

Here is one simple example that testified how small things can require a lot of effort. Initial plan was to not have any loft opening out into the modular kitchen. But parents showed dissent, for they're used to seeing lofts on at least two sides of any room they've used. Multiple phone calls with the architect and friends, visits to modular kitchen showrooms, consulting with interior designers - finally we decided to keep the loft on one side of the kitchen that is not visible from other rooms in the house. Now everyone's happy!

Every week there's a new topic and every day there's a new concern. To build the house according to the wishes of the contractor is a little easy, to build it according to the imaginations of the architect is a little difficult, to build it to your requirements is even more difficult, but to build it to the satisfaction of everyone is really difficult.

I'm surely starting to learn the art of "striking the balance", I hope this helps me in things beyond the house too. This learning experience is definitely more wonderful than the humbling experience of getting bankrupt. But the most wonderful of all is the realization that there're million others doing the same thing and I'm not doing anything unique. Well, this's true about most things in life, isn't it?

2 comments:

  1. you merged both blogs ? good I don't huv to follow two :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh ok..http://dianthus.blogspot.com/2009/07/me-myself-and-naren.html:)

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification, but a lot of spam these days